The California Library Association has developed Reading by Design - a project that helps public libraries manage their summer reading programs. Through Reading by Design, CLA will:
- develop open source software that will help public libraries manage their summer reading programs and engage previously-underserved members of the community with those programs;
- host the software on our server, which will help ensure that libraries can use it;
- provide libraries with the support they need to be able to implement the software locally;
- foster a community of participating library staff who will work together to learn, use, and develop the software.
The innovative, open source software application - BookPoints - is designed to help libraries manage, present, and engage communities with their summer reading (and other book and reading) programs.
The BookPoints application will:
- help you connect more people with summer reading through gamification and an engaging interface;
- encourage users to keep reading and taking part in your program through the end of the summer;
- help you assess and demonstrate the impact of your programs using built-in evaluation tools; and
- help you efficiently manage and report on your summer (and other book and reading) programs.